We expect those that care for you to respect your rights and to always treat you fairly. Sometimes you and a carer might not agree on what’s fair but even then you have the right to an explanation. Use this page as a quick reference to your rights but don’t forget – your carers also expect to be treated fairly.
Dignity is about your right to:
- Be treated with dignity and respect at all times.
- Enjoy a full range of social relationships.
Privacy is about your right to:
- Have your privacy and property respected.
- Be free from unnecessary intrusion.
Choice is about your right to:
- Make informed choices, while recognising the rights of other people to do the same.
- Know about the range of choices available to you.
- Get help to fully understand all the options so that you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Safety is about your right to:
- Feel safe and secure in all aspects of life, including health and well-being.
- Know that adults are responsible for your safety.
- Enjoy feeling safe but not be over-protected.
- Be free from exploitation and abuse.
Realising Your Potential
Realising your potential is about your right to:
- Achieve all that you can.
- Make use of of the opportunities available to you.
- Make the most of your life.
Equality and Diversity
Equality and Diversity is about your right to:
- Live an independent life and be personally fulfilled.
- Be respected for your ethnic background, language, culture and faith.
- Be treated equally and be cared for in a safe environment, free from bullying, harassment and discrimination.
- Be able to complain without fear of victimisation.